As we ring in 2020, many of us make New Year’s resolutions. Has self-care ever crossed your mind? Many working parents probably think they do not spend enough time with their child (ren) so they should not spend time on themselves because this is selfish. This couldn’t be farther from the truth. Taking a few hours or a day for yourself can be one of the best things you can do for your kids and family.
Benefits of Self-Care
- Avoid burnout
- Lower stress levels
- Re-energizes you so you can enjoy the “little” things your family does
- You become calmer
- Teaches your children to value health and well-being
- Become more self-aware
10 Ideas for Self-Care
- Take a Me Day—do something you enjoy such as going to the spa, shopping ,meeting a friend for lunch, going to a movie alone, nail salon, etc.
- Focus on getting adequate sleep
- Begin a new hobby
- Start a gratitude journal
- Say NO to things that don’t serve you and say YES to things that are fulfilling and replenishing
- Take time with your partner
- Spend time in nature—walk in the park, hike on a trail, gardening, etc.
Busy parents need to prioritize time for self-care the same as they do for their children. Most parents would not miss an appointment for their children, because they are important. Prioritizing yourself and your own needs is equally important! As this new year begins, take care of yourself so you will be able to better care for your loved ones.
–Kristen D. is the Director of Finding Me Now Learning Center at South East St.